Enter key in different form field displays file dialog

Last post 09-01-2009, 10:05 AM by delamitry. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  08-28-2009, 6:33 AM 55139

Enter key in different form field displays file dialog

I've tried both the "Live Support" and the support email and haven't gotten an answer on this question. My company is still in the evaluation phase of the AJAX Uploader, and if we can get past this problem, will be purchasing the control.

I have the AJAX Upload control on an ASP.NET form with other fields, such as a TextBox for FirstName, LastName, etc. If I am in any of the TextBox controls and hit the enter key, instead of the form being submitted the file dialog box for the upload control gets displayed. This is not the preferred behavior as the upload is an optional field for the form.

This is only happening in Internet Explorer and doesn't happen in Firefox.

I know there is some javascript trickery that I could do to capture the keycode and if it's the ENTER key to submit the form via a javascript call, but I would really prefer to have a more straightforward approach that doesn't rely on javascript.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. As I've said I've tried to contact the company for support but am disappointed with their response so far.
  •  08-28-2009, 9:09 AM 55148 in reply to 55139

Re: Enter key in different form field displays file dialog

Hi,

The only way is using JavaScript.

And it has much limitation.

Uploader use IFrame(<input>) , Flash or Silverlight to open a file browsing dialog.

And for Flash10,Silverlight3, users must use mouse click to open the dialog.

So ENTER key is not OK for that case.

Regards,
    Terry

•  08-31-2009, 9:19 AM 55206 in reply to 55148

Thanks for the information.

Does anyone have any information on the quality of support for this company? At this point I'm not sure I can recommend the purchase of this control to my company, based on the poor level of support I've been able to get.
  •  09-01-2009, 8:51 AM 55240 in reply to 55206

I finally found the solution to my problem, and without having to do any javascript code.

I'm working in C# ASP.NET. I added a Panel with a DefaultButton and this completely solves the problem. I hope this can be helpful to anyone else who runs into this issue because I wasn't able to get any help on this problem otherwise.
  •  09-01-2009, 10:05 AM 55248 in reply to 55240

I must say I'm surprised to hear of your experience.  My own is quite the contrary.  
    I primarily use the forums and CuteSoft has always promptly answered any questions I've had.
    Check out the forums, they are littered with examples of the company stepping up to solve problems of individuals.  Literally creating new builds to satisfy a single person's request.  Not many companies can be that agile.
    You asked if anyone had any information on the quality of support for this company, I give them an A+.  Besides their support forums, the control is updated regularly and comes with great examples and docs.

I own a (very) small business and can say it was money well invested.

Greg

View as RSS news feed in XML