Minor version, please take time to change it.

Last post 12-16-2004, 10:35 PM by Adam. 6 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  12-14-2004, 4:58 PM 3024

Minor version, please take time to change it.

I would like to point out a simple point.

Where there is compatibility break (like replace the dll doesn't anymore work with the old javascript) the file version should be changed.

Today build 4.0.0.0 FileSize: 233,472 bytes
    While few weeks ago the same version was 4.0.0.0 and FileSize: 196,608 bytes.
    Between both version all javascripts or almost have changed.

New API sound very nice, gonna dig into that deeper :-)
  •  12-14-2004, 5:14 PM 3025 in reply to 3024

Re: Minor version, please take time to change it.

•  12-15-2004, 8:39 AM 3041 in reply to 3025

yes,  I agree.

I have copied the dll and the js-files. Now I have no icons in the editor. I need to know whichs files should be updated.

Please, know that some amount of time has been put in the config-files and templates, so they cannot be overwritten.

Regards
    Lars Kohsel
  •  12-15-2004, 9:01 AM 3042 in reply to 3024

Dear Customers :

I have a very important reason for the [assembly: AssemblyVersion("4.0.0.0")] , for why we always compile it into 4.0.0.0 ,

If we use the [assembly: AssemblyVersion("4.0.*")] , the version would be changed  every time . The benefit of that is you could compair the version .

But , the disadvantage is , when you just update the dll to the product server , for example , we update the CuteEditor.dll to this forums , it would throws FileLoadException : " The located assembly's mainfest definition
    with name 'CuteEditor' does not match the assembly reference "

When the version is 4.0.* , the developers would get more trouble while they deploy the CuteEditor.dll , they must re-compile the application , and copy all dlls to the product server .

We could provide another solution :

1.We update the assemblyinfo.cs as [assembly: AssemblyTitle("CuteEditor 4.0 build 2004-12-15")] very time we compile the CuteEditor.dll , so everyone could know the last build time when they view the file dialog .

2.We provide a log file into the downloadable zip file . To let the user known the last build time and the version logs .

Is That OK ?

Regards , Terry .
  •  12-15-2004, 9:07 AM 3043 in reply to 3042

But which files should be updated - other than the dll ?

regards

Lars Kohsel

•  12-15-2004, 3:46 PM 3051 in reply to 3042

cutechat wrote:
    When the version is 4.0.* , the developers would get more trouble while they deploy the CuteEditor.dll , they must re-compile the application , and copy all dlls to the product server .

I've build control and the * is not a good option I agree. But as I said, if there is a break in compatibility with the others files (javascript and configuration files) the version should be changed to 4.0.0.1 or something even if this imply to recompile the solution...

•  12-16-2004, 10:35 PM 3069 in reply to 3051

jcmorin,.

Your point is well taken!

CuteEditor for ASP.NET version 4.0.0.1 is available!

In the latest build, we've fixed a number of bugs and improved performance and stability. 

Like Terry said, you will have to recompile your solution with this minor version...

Please upgrade to this version when you get a chance.
View as RSS news feed in XML