How to avoid illegal / invalid HTML Code

•  07-29-2009, 2:54 AM

How to avoid illegal / invalid HTML Code

Hi all,

the problem is not caused directly by CuteEditor but the data is added using CuteEditor so I hope there is a solution:

How could I check whether the entered text is valid HTML? Sometimes my users enter invalid HTML without knowing, e.g. a text like

<!-- Test />

(The tag is not closed correct, the end is wrong. The correct tag would be: <!-- Test --> )

That's not a problem when they paste it into the default text window, but it might happen that they paste it on the HTML-Tab. In this case the data is not encoded to valid html which would be

&lt;!-- Test /&gt;

(Same happens when they are in the default tab and select 'Paste as HTML')

So technically it's correct from CuteEditor: It's pasted as HTML and accepted and saved. But later on I want to display the entered text, and thats the problem now: The browser (IE 6) stops with an error:

Sys.ArgumentException: Value must not be null for Controls and Behaviors. Parameter name: element

I tried to reproduce on your demo page but you only output the entered text in HTML-Code using HTMLEncode, so that's not a problem.

So as said, it's not directly a problem of CuteEditor, but several others might have the same problem so I hope there is a solution, like checking whether HTMLCode is valid without disabling the HTML-Functionality completely because some other users really need that.

Many thanks in advance!

I wonder how it's done here in the forum because in the HTML-Code I added the above mentioned invalid code and at least the preview is still working fine....
    .net Framework 4.0 / ASP.net / VB / CuteEditor 6.7 / SQL 2005
    Filed under:
View Complete Thread