User controls, multiple file uploads, manual start

•  11-18-2008, 1:36 PM

User controls, multiple file uploads, manual start

Hi

We have a situation where we have multiple (unlimited) number of user controls which are loaded onto a page dynamically based on a script. Each user control could be photo enabled, which at present would mean it has a standard asp.net upload control visible. The user selects a photo, and then carrys on down the script, possibly selecting other photos as they progress.

At the end of the script, they click a submit button, which then uploads the photo to our server. As you can imagine, this is causing some issues if there are a number of files, mainly because the user has not visual on the progress of the uploads, and thinks the browser is hanging and refreshes the page or quits the browser. (We have a message displayed over the submit button via Javascript which says "Please Wait" but users are users and they dont listen.

So my question is, I would like to have the ability for a user to select photos are they going down the script, (multiple controls) but when they click the final submit button, to have a single progress control which shows all the files they have selected throughout the script, and upload them.

Is this possible? Have you got any ideas how your control could fit. I like the manual start as that is a big step for us as not many controls have that feature. I guess I could have multiple of your controls within each user control and then have a java array which I loop through firing the start upload function for each one, but the progress details are then all over not nicely together at the end.

Regards
    Warren

Filed under: ,
View Complete Thread