RTF Issue With Formatted-Text Alignment

•  08-01-2007, 8:12 AM

RTF Issue With Formatted-Text Alignment

When exporting formatted-text as RTF, there seems to be some issue with alignment that causes the text to be displayed incorrectly.

For the following tests, I have two applications, call them A and B.  App A uses Cute Editor, App B uses a different RTF editor.

TEST 1 - Every Other Word Formatted
    If I export the following line of text, with centered alignment, from either App A or App B:

this test will check centering text

It appears in App A when the RTF is loaded as:

this

test

will

check

centering

text

If saved in App B, it appears correctly in App B.

If saved in App A, it appears left-aligned in App B (aka centering was not saved).  PLEASE NOTE:  If a carriage return is placed after the line of text in App A, it will then appear correctly in App B.

The RTF that is generated by Cute Editor is:

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\deff0\deflang1033{\colortbl;\red0\green0\blue0;}{\fonttbl {\f0\fswiss\fcharset1252 Times New Roman;} }{\*\generator CuteEditor 5.0;}\viewkind4\uc1\pard\par \pard\cf1\f0\fs24\qc\b0\i0\ulnone \cf1\f0\fs24\qc\b1\i0\ulnone this\cf1\f0\fs24\qc\b0\i0\ulnone test \cf1\f0\fs24\qc\b0\i1\ulnone will\cf1\f0\fs24\qc\b0\i0\ulnone check \cf1\f0\fs24\qc\b0\i0\ul centering\cf1\f0\fs24\qc\b0\i0\ulnone text}

TEST 2 - Adjacent Words Formatted Alike
    If I export the following line of text, with centered alignment, from either App A or App B:

what about this text where words adjacent have the same formatting

It appears in App A when the RTF is loaded as:

what about

this text

where words adjacent

have the

same formatting

If saved in App A, it appears left-aligned in App B (aka centering was not saved).  PLEASE NOTE:  If a carriage return is placed after the line of text in App A, it will then appear correctly centered, in App B, but with the same issue I posted about previously where spacing is not preserved (See http://cutesoft.net/forums/thread/32076.aspx).

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\deff0\deflang1033{\colortbl;\red0\green0\blue0;\red255\green0\blue0;}{\fonttbl {\f0\fswiss\fcharset1252 Times New Roman;} }{\*\generator CuteEditor 5.0;}\viewkind4\uc1\pard\par \pard\cf1\f0\fs24\qc\b0\i0\ulnone \cf1\f0\fs24\qc\b0\i1\ulnone what about\cf1\f0\fs24\qc\b1\i0\ulnone this text\cf1\f0\fs24\qc\b0\i0\ul where words adjacent\cf2\f0\fs24\qc\b0\i0\ulnone have the \cf1\f0\fs24\qc\b0\i0\ulnone same formatting}

TEST 3 - No Formatting
    If I export the following line of text, with centered alignment, from either App A or App B:

this text will test centering with no formatting

It appears in App A when the RTF is loaded correctly.

If saved in App A, it appears left-aligned in App B (aka centering was not saved).  PLEASE NOTE:  If a carriage return is placed after the line of text in App A, it will then appear correctly in App B.

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\deff0\deflang1033{\colortbl;\red0\green0\blue0;}{\fonttbl {\f0\fswiss\fcharset1252 Times New Roman;} }{\*\generator CuteEditor 5.0;}\viewkind4\uc1\pard\par \pard\cf1\f0\fs24\qc\b0\i0\ulnone \cf1\f0\fs24\qc\b1\i0\ulnone this\cf1\f0\fs24\qc\b0\i0\ulnone test \cf1\f0\fs24\qc\b0\i1\ulnone will\cf1\f0\fs24\qc\b0\i0\ulnone check \cf1\f0\fs24\qc\b0\i0\ul centering\cf1\f0\fs24\qc\b0\i0\ulnone text\par \pard\cf1\f0\fs24\qj\b0\i0\ulnone }

THOUGHTS
    Seeing as App A loaded the RTF incorrectly everytime there was formatted-text involved (regardless of which App exported it), there seems to be an issue with the way Cute Editor is loading RTF.  Also, since the text only remains centered in App B if there is a carriage return placed after the exported text in App A, there seems to be an issue with the way the RTF is generated by Cute Editor as well.  RTF exported from App B always loads correctly in App B.  Cute Editor is not even loading its own exported RTF correctly.

Can you please let me know when there will be a fix for this, or in the meantime, if there is a workaround?

Thanks,
    -Chris
View Complete Thread