Re: Are you still updating CuteEditor 6.0?

•  07-11-2007, 12:07 PM

Re: Are you still updating CuteEditor 6.0?

I think you're misunderstanding me. 

If you guys are still doing updates to version 6.0, to me that says that version 6.0 is not finished.

The way that versioning usually works is this -  you write a new version of your code, you test it, and then you release it.  Once it's released, you'd better be pretty darn sure that it's stable.  If you find bugs after that, it's customary to release a minor version update (say, going from 6.0 to 6.1 or 6.05 or something), but this is something that you should want to avoid, as it's embarrassing for you and inconvenient for your customers.  If you think that your latest version still has bugs, you should release it as a beta, so that nobody's expecting it to be stable.

I'm obviously not saying that Adam should discontinue development on CuteEditor.  What I'm saying is that you shouldn't release a version if it's still only half-baked.  On top of that, updating the latest version of your software without changing the version number is confusing and wrong.  How does someone know if they're running the right version?  Do they need to check your site every day and see if the "date added" in your downloads section has changed?  Also, I've seen that "date added" change at least 4 or 5 times since version 6.0 was released.  This means that, had I upgraded in April, I'd have had to do 4 or 5 rollouts of *MY* software just to accommodate your bugfixes and whatnot.

Look, I understand that you guys are probably a small software shop and don't have tons of developer resources to throw around.  However, I don't think that I'm asking too much by expecting you to follow by the versioning standards that the rest of the software-developing world follows by.

View Complete Thread