Integration with an existing website

•  03-24-2007, 5:15 PM

Integration with an existing website

Hi,

I've just downloaded CuteChat and I've come accross the following problems while installing it:

1) web.config file:
    -I'm surprised to see this: <compilation defaultLanguage="c#" debug="true"/
    Shouldn't debug be set to false by default or are you expecting your customers to change this manually? Can I ask which mode (release or debug) was used when you compiled the solution and created the dll files (sampleportal.dll and  CuteSoft.Chat.dll)?

2) Database:
    -In one of the posts in the forum (http://cutesoft.net/forums/thread/26787.aspx) you said that the application requires database owner permissions. In reality the application only needs select/update/delete/insert permissions on the tables created by the SQL script (CutechatStandalone.sql).
    -Why don't you use stored procedures? I understand that CuteChat can be used against different types of databases (SQL Server, Oracle, etc.) but surely it's possible to use stored procedures if you connect to SQL Server and access direcly the tables if you connect to a different type of database. That would also simplify the permissions required.

3)Documentation:
    I like CuteChat and it's easy to setup for testing but I can't see any help files. When I open CuteChatDeveloperGuide.chm which was in the Zip file I downloaded from your website, nothing is displayed.
    -I was expecting to get a list of things to be done before using CuteChat in production (eg recompiling the solution in release mode, settings the SQL permissions, where to put the config file etc.).
    -I'm trying to integrate CuteChat with my own website but it doesn't seem to be straightforward. For example in the web.config file the connections string should be called "CuteChat.SqlClient.ConnectionString" and not just "ConnectionString" as in the SamplePortal solution. I had to go through a lot of posts in your forum to understand this very simple thing.

Basically what I'm trying to do is to put a link on my website which will point to the chatroom I've created:
    /CuteChat/CuteSoft_Client/CuteChat/CH_MainForm.Aspx?Location=Lobby&LocationId=1
    My users are already logged in so I don't want them to have to login again. I'm using vb.net

I'm also getting confused with the configuration page of the administation console. I've just set 'Show Room List' to false but the room lists still appear. Am I doing anything incorrectly? Is this a bug? If so, is it documented somewhere?

All in all CuteChat seems to be a great product. Testing it (using the SamplePortal solution) is very easy and takes about 10/15mn but integrating CuteChat with an existing website is a different matter especially with such a lack of documentation which is really putting me off.

Thanks and regards,

Anthony.

View Complete Thread