My Suggestions for compiling CuteEditor

•  09-07-2006, 5:08 AM

My Suggestions for compiling CuteEditor

Hi Adam and CuteEditor Team,

I have a suggestion for compiling CuteEditor to increase it's speed. I know you can't be giving precompiling copies because all your customers are not going to have precompiled applications and precompilation as you know is "all or nothing approach". Selective parts of application can't be precompiled.

I am talking about .NET 2.0 version.

I saw the CuteEditor Directory structure, there are mainly 2 directories of primary concern for speed :

• Base Directory
        =>There are 16 aspx files, and cuteeditor_safari.js(85kb) and cuteeditor_safari.js.aspx(48kb). While 70% continue to be
        IE Customers, if you can put those files in seperate directory, the dynamic compilation will be faster (as it is done folder
        wise).
        =>There are 17 .js files, while there is nothing to do with compilation, some huge js files like WinIE.js (158kb) does exist,
        can you use WebResource.axd to serve this files ? If you can do that we can make use of HttpCompression as well, 
        shrinking the file to a mere 32kb file. And webResource is also cached well on the browsers (all). Contrary to what people
        believe you can compress WebResource.axd(javascript), I am doing them in all the projects.
        =>Can you serve the link of images directly rather then requesting .aspx for each image ? If you can use WebResources
        again, you will benefit from cache. Also since images are gif or jpeg, they are not compressible anyways, so I don't see
        any merit in using .aspx extensions anyways for images.
  • "Dialogs" directory
        => This is one huge directory totaling 90 aspx pages and 1 ascx. The csc.exe goes to a spin if one of page is opened for
        the first time. The reason is whole directory is fully compiled, before anything else could be done, this almost produces
        700kb of dll in Temporary files directory of runtime, which is huge for a simple Image Gallery for eg. What I suggest is you
        split the directory in 3 parts each for IE, Gecko and Safari, this way only one of them will be compiled at a time, resulting
        in huge happiness for the user as this will load very quickly then. I suggest you split the Dialogs/Tag directory in a 
        similar way.

This steps should increase the performance of cutesoft tremendously and will finally give us a shrink-wrapped version of
    HTML Editor we need. I read somewhere in forum that 6.0 is due this month end, so I am hoping my suggestions are timely
    for that release :) . Pls give us the best this time!

For any suggestions or questions or arguements you can contact me : paragme  @t gmail.com

Best Regards,
    Parag.
  • Filed under: , ,
View Complete Thread