Using setHTML problem when string is blank.

Last post 03-21-2011, 1:57 AM by Kenneth. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  03-16-2011, 1:32 PM 66696

Using setHTML problem when string is blank.

I am using the editor to edit the contents of some table cells.

The editor is on a panel that I display only when the cell to edit is clicked.  After editing I hide the panel and update the table cell with the editors text.

Overall this works fine, but if I go to edit a cell that is blank the setHTML function will not put the blank string into the editor.  Instead it acts like the setHTML did not fire and the editor has the text that was in the editor instead of placing the blank into it.

Here is the code that does not work, so you can get an idea of what I am doing.

function onClickTableCell(cellID)
        {       
            document.getElementById('<%=panEditor2.ClientID%>').style.display = "block";    // show editor
            document.getElementById("btnUpdateRow").style.display = "block";          // show update button

var editor = document.getElementById('<% = ceEditor2.ClientID%>');    //Get the editor
            editor.setHTML(cellID.innerHTML);
            editor.FocusDocument();
        }

After editing I click the btnUpdateRow and update the cellID.innerHTML and hide the editor again.

What is odd is that this seems to be related to showing and hiding the editor.  If I keep the editor visible this issue does not exist.

I can get it  to work correctly by inserting a blank space into the editor.

var editor = document.getElementById('<% = ceEditor2.ClientID%>');
            if (cellID.innerHTML != "") {
                editor.setHTML(cellID.innerHTML);
            } else {
                editor.setHTML( " " );
            }
            editor.FocusDocument();

I can deal with the "blank" by trimming it off - but I should not need to do that, the editor should be able to place a blank string with setHTML.
    Anybody else had to deal with this???

The Analytical Group
    Filed under:
  •  03-21-2011, 1:57 AM 66766 in reply to 66696

Re: Using setHTML problem when string is blank.

Hi TAG,

Is your site online? If so, can you send me the test page url to Kenneth@CuteSoft.net and show me the steps to reproduce this issue? I will check it and get back to you as soon as possible.

Regards,

Ken
View as RSS news feed in XML