Configuration Hierarchy

Last post 09-20-2007, 1:35 PM by Bill Rishsew. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  09-19-2007, 3:38 PM 33646

Configuration Hierarchy

Please forgive my English as I speak native North Idaho American.

I have dug for days now, both through the help documents online and my stabbing here and there.

Can someone please explaine the Configuration Hierarchy?

I've found some of the xml files can be deleted and some can not. I've also found that when I make changes in files titled "common" and "default", I don't always get the expected result or in most cases any change at all.

I habitually clear my cache when I work with JS, so I know I'm getting a fresh page each time.

I need to know which files are absolutely required and how they inter-relate.

e.g. I included a 'dropdown' item and for the life of me can not figure out how it got populated.

Please, help me on this. I'm a detail guy so don't be afraid to spell it out for this speaker of North Idaho American.

Thanks in advance.

Bill Rishsew

Work Hard! Play Harder!!
  •  09-20-2007, 11:11 AM 33672 in reply to 33646

Re: Configuration Hierarchy

•  09-20-2007, 12:48 PM 33682 in reply to 33672

Okay, given the file structure to the left
    How do these .xml files interrelate.
    The two links you offered don't talk about this.

AutoConfigure - What does this mean? Why are files in here?

ContextMenuMode - What does this mean? Why are files in here?

Security - What does this mean? Why are files in here?

Shared - What does this mean? Why are files in here?

As a developer I have to be able to fold applications in to other applications.

I'm using CuteEditor 6.0 for ASP as a helper application. It has to co-exist.
    This means I need to understand how files inter-relate.
    Does one have precedence over another?
    Is there a CSS type behavior, where each file, when loaded, takes precedence over the previous?

I'm not trying to be a hard-ass, I just want to better understand what will happen when I do such and such.

As an example: I removed all <contextmenus> items and the context menu still shows items when I left mouse click on an html selector in the editor tray. Where did the definitions come from?

This is an application that developers use and so more needs to be understood about its operability than when using an application as a stand-alone resource.

Thanks.

Bill R.

Work Hard! Play Harder!!
  •  09-20-2007, 1:35 PM 33686 in reply to 33682

Okay, I've done some more digging.
    I'm still not understanding though.

Can someone explain the process of building the toolbar/menu from scratch. That is, how do I build it if I wipe all files out of the AutoConfigure, ContextMenuMode, Security and Shared folders?

Do configuration files reside elsewhere?

Do configuration files need to have the same name in each folder to tie them together?

Bill R.

Work Hard! Play Harder!!
View as RSS news feed in XML