Need some help determining if this editor will work for my site!

Last post 02-16-2009, 8:52 PM by xena4635. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  02-16-2009, 9:00 AM 48840

Need some help determining if this editor will work for my site!

Hello, please know I am not the "developer" of my site, I am the owner and designer.  My development team is paid by the hour so I'd like to try and get some questions answered before I try to venture off into this.

I have an on-line auction site that I am currently having "re-created" with added features and custom developments.
    One of the biggest issues I've encountered with the "out of box" application I started out with is the listing editor for the end users.
    It SUCKS.  Often end user's html will break the main site's design, and hardly has any functionality on the tool bar.  There is not even a function to increase/decrease font size.  So basically, if you are not an html expert listing on my site right now, it is not so easy.  I want the editor to give as much user friendly functionality as possible, yet NOT jeapordize my site's security.

Right now my site uses tinymce, it is stripped down to hardly offer any wysiwyg options for the end users.  I found this editor and it looks/sounds to be a much better choice.  The other problem with the current editor I have is the fact that is "appears" to offer functions that it actually really doesn't offer.  It looks good, and then when you hit "save" it strips stuff out.  Drives ME NUTS!!!!

I also want an editor that will make listings look right in both IE and Firefox.  I also need it to work for Safari Web Browsers.

Can someone really help me determine if this is something that my developers can and should do for my site?
    I also can't afford a $8k license, so if open source code is required for this kind of integration then I will just have to suck it up for now.  Geodesic Solutions Enterprise Auction Software is currently what the site runs on. 

Thank You!

•  02-16-2009, 10:38 AM 48852 in reply to 48840

Re: Need some help determining if this editor will work for my site!

Hi,

I completely understand your concerns.  I just purchased CuteEditor for php and was concerned myself because we need special functionality ourselves.  I am developing an email marketing/contact management system which allows users to modify existing templates.  I am a php developer and i can tell you one thing i was completely impressed with CuteEditor's ease of integration.  It truly does plug right into your existing system and assigning text/html to it to be edited and also retreiving the edited content is a piece of cake.  I had braced myself for the worse but ended up getting a hold of it's concepts and customization in a really short period of time.  I do have couple glitches which i am working on and need help on, however other than that I do recommend it and please do not hesitate to contact me if you have other questions.  I understand your reservations since they don't offer a trial version, which i think the company really needs to consider.
  •  02-16-2009, 8:52 PM 48892 in reply to 48852

Re: Need some help determining if this editor will work for my site!

Hello, I keep trying to reply and half way through my reply something "refreshes" this thing and erases my reply.
    I am trying to let you know that I appreciate your advice and plan to use it in my decision.  I am only concerned about jeopardizing site security.  I need my end users to be able to list their artwork without the non user friendly method that my site currently offers.  Thanks so much!
View as RSS news feed in XML