An Error has occurred in the script on this page - Line: 2 Char: 1 Error: Syntax Error

Last post 01-10-2006, 9:36 PM by rwhawkes. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  01-07-2006, 3:38 AM 14516

An Error has occurred in the script on this page - Line: 2 Char: 1 Error: Syntax Error

I am getting this error. It occurs in various scenarios. For example, insert a HR using the icon, and then doubleclick on the line and it generates this error.

Also occurs when I insert a picture and then double click it.

You will ask, "Do the sample pages work? "

Yes and no.

I have several websites on my test server and it works on one website, and it generates these errors on another website. I do have screen shots that I would be glad to send somewhere, just tell me where.

The error occurs on IE, not on Firefox (which immediately pops up the box when I insert a HR, and will not allow me to doubleclick)
    Where can I start looking for this problem? I have spent a few hours so far and am at the end of my resources.

I just upgraded to V5 and it's V5 that throws the errors. Was OK with V4.
  •  01-07-2006, 1:55 PM 14519 in reply to 14516

Re: An Error has occurred in the script on this page - Line: 2 Char: 1 Error: Syntax Error

OK after a night's sleep I tried loading the cute files on a few other websites.  The common thread for sites that generated the error was that I had a custom 404 page defined in IIS -> Custom Errors Tab. I found that when I took off the custom 404 page that the error disappeared.

I also found that when I put the custom 404 page back on, the error returned.

When I left the custom 404 page on, and simply put <% Response.End %> as the first line, the error disappeared again.

Can you explain this? Seems that it's hitting the error 404 code somehow...
  •  01-09-2006, 6:55 PM 14562 in reply to 14519

Re: An Error has occurred in the script on this page - Line: 2 Char: 1 Error: Syntax Error

I have this same problem!

I had thought it was my service packs on the server, but I read this post and tested on my custom 404.asp page. Sure enough - that is the problem.

The page that I am trying to set the editor up on does not hit the 404.asp page at all. The editor itself must be pulling something from the server in the background.

I am using the Cute Editor for ASP 5.0.

My errors are also syntax errors but my line numbers change when I change my 404.asp page. ( line 4 or line 7..)

Please shed some light on this problem!
    Jessie
  •  01-10-2006, 9:36 PM 14596 in reply to 14519

Come on Adam... No response from you at all???? This is a problem that you need to at least acknowledge. What's the 404 about?
View as RSS news feed in XML