Files not uploading in Safari on Apple computers

Last post 01-29-2014, 7:19 AM by shanface. 19 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  01-13-2012, 3:33 AM 72665

Files not uploading in Safari on Apple computers

Our Apple users are complaining that files don't get uploaded. When using any browser on a Windows computer, everything is working just fine.

This week I bought an Apple MacBook Air laptop to be able to test things like this myself, and I can confirm... files don't get uploaded when working with Safari.
    I downloaded and installed the latest Ajax Uploader DLL just now, to make sure I'm not using an older Ajax Uploader version, and the issue is still the same.

Most of the time the upload seems to happen: I can select one or more files to upload, and the progress bar gets filled up. But the files never arrive in the specified location on the server. And I've searched other locations on the server as well, but the files don't seem to arrive at all.
    Sometimes I get the following Javascript alert:
    "AjaxUploader global error: Flash : The upload task is interrupted io Error #2038" 

Like I said, the problem is specific for Apple computers.

Is this a know issue? What can I do to fix this? 

Regards, Marja
  •  01-13-2012, 6:18 AM 72668 in reply to 72665

Re: Files not uploading in Safari on Apple computers

I've found that Error #2038 is related to the size of files to upload. We have a limit of 10 Mb and when trying to upload files larger than that, this error occurs on Apple computers.
    The strange thing is that on Windows computers we get a regular alert explaining about the file size, and on Apple computers we get this weird technical error message. Why is that?

Anyway, the original main problem persists:
    When using Safari on an Apple computer, the files don't get uploaded. Not even when they are way smaller than 10 Mb.
    This is specific to Safari. When using Firefox on Apple, everything is fine. 

What causes this weird Safari issue? 

Regards, Marja
  •  01-13-2012, 6:46 AM 72671 in reply to 72668

Correction the #2038 is not directly related to file size. At least not in Safari.

I'm on my Apple computer now, in Safari, and when trying to upload a file of eg. 6 Mb, I get the following error (JavaScript alert): 
    1. AjaxUploader file error: About Downloads.lpdf , Flash : The upload task is interrupted! io Error #2038  
    2.  Server side error :   

And below that is the html of the page my users get redirected to by the error handler in our application when an exception occurs.

Regards, Marja
  •  01-13-2012, 6:50 AM 72672 in reply to 72671

For your information, the exact same error occurs in Safari when uploading a file in your demo page at http://ajaxuploader.com/Demo/multiple-files-upload.aspx.
    Regards, Marja
  •  01-13-2012, 7:00 AM 72675 in reply to 72672

Hi MarjaR,

Is your site online? If so, can you send me the uploader page url and show me the full steps to reproduce this issue? I will check it and get back to you as soon as possible.

Is your site using window authentication?

Is your site on the load balancing, web farm, cloud environment?

Can you reproduce this issue with the example below on your end?

<%@ Page Language="C#" %>
    <%@ Register TagPrefix="CuteWebUI" Namespace="CuteWebUI" Assembly="CuteWebUI.AjaxUploader" %>
    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
    <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
    <head id="Head1" runat="server">
        <title>example</title>
    </head>
    <body>
        <form id="form1" runat="server">
            <CuteWebUI:UploadAttachments ID="uploader1" runat="server" UploadType="iframe">
            </CuteWebUI:UploadAttachments>
        </form>
    </body>
    </html>

Regards,

Ken 
  •  01-13-2012, 7:41 AM 72676 in reply to 72675

Our application is running in many shared hosting environments on regular Windows servers. So no load balancing, no web farm, no cloud environment or whatsoever.

But as I said in a previous post: the #2038 issue is reproducable in the Ajax Uploader demo page at http://ajaxuploader.com/Demo/multiple-files-upload.aspx.
    Just try uploading a file of eg. 6 Mb using Safari on Mac.

So I don't think you need me to upload a test page somewhere?

Regards, Marja
  •  01-13-2012, 7:54 AM 72677 in reply to 72676

Source:
    1. <%@ Page Language="vb" AutoEventWireup="false" CodeBehind="UploadTest.aspx.vb" Inherits="WebwareNET.UploadTest"  
    2.     Title="Customize the queue UI" %>  
    4. <%@ Register TagPrefix="CuteWebUI" Namespace="CuteWebUI" Assembly="CuteWebUI.AjaxUploader" %>  
    5. <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Frameset//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-frameset.dtd">  
    6. <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">  
    7. <head id="Head1" runat="server">  
    8. </head>  
    9. <body>  
    10.     <form id="Form1" runat="server">  
    11.     <ajaxToolkit:ToolkitScriptManager ID="ToolkitScriptManager1" EnablePartialRendering="true"  
    12.         runat="server" />  
    13.     <p>  
    14.         CuteWebUI:Uploader</p>  
    15.     <CuteWebUI:Uploader ID="uploader1" AutoUseSystemTempFolder="false" TempDirectory="~/sysfiles/TempAjaxUploader/"  
    16.         runat="server">  
    17.     </CuteWebUI:Uploader>  
    18.     <p>  
    19.         CuteWebUI:UploadAttachments</p>  
    20.     <CuteWebUI:UploadAttachments ID="uploader2" AutoUseSystemTempFolder="false" TempDirectory="~/sysfiles/TempAjaxUploader/"  
    21.         UploadType="iframe" runat="server">  
    22.     </CuteWebUI:UploadAttachments>  
    23.     </form>  
    24. </body>  
    25. </html>  
     The button for the CuteWebUI:UploadAttachments uploader does nothing at all?

Regards, Marja
  •  01-13-2012, 8:56 AM 72679 in reply to 72677

Some more information:
    1. The #2038 only happens with some file types, not all.
      I'm new on the Apple laptop and I don't have any files there yet. So I tried to upload a file named "About Downloads.lpdf" that is present on the laptop by default.
      Safari nor Firefox like that... they both present the #2038 error. When uploading eg. an image, the #2038 issue does not happen.

2. As it turns out, when uploading eg. an image with Safari, there is actually a "persisted.<GUID><filename>.resx" file placed in the upload-directory. But the file does not get moved to a given non-temp directory afterwards.
      When working in any other browser, uploaded files get moved (and possibly resized), but not in Safari. And that why the upload didn't seem to happen at all.

The code in my real upload page is:
    1. <CuteWebUI:Uploader ID="Uploader1" AutoUseSystemTempFolder="false" TempDirectory="~/sysfiles/TempAjaxUploader/"  
    2.                            MultipleFilesUpload="true" OnFileUploaded="AjaxUploader_FileUploaded" InsertButtonID="btnBrowse"  
    3.                            ManualStartUpload="true" runat="server">  
    4.                        </CuteWebUI:Uploader>  
    Why isn't the OnFileUploaded event triggered when working with Safari?

Regards, Marja
  •  01-13-2012, 10:28 AM 72683 in reply to 72679

Hi MarjaR,

You page  http://webwarenet.clubwebware03.nl/uploadtest.aspx works fine for me. I tested on safari 5.1 (windows).

What Mac/safari version you are testing? 

Did you install the flash plug-in for your safari browser?

Please try the url below, does it get the same issue?

Regards,

Ken 
  •  01-13-2012, 10:41 AM 72684 in reply to 72679

Hi Ken,

Did you see my last post?

MarjaR:
    1. ...

2. As it turns out, when uploading eg. an image with Safari, there is actually a "persisted.<GUID><filename>.resx" file placed in the upload-directory. But the file does not get moved to a given non-temp directory afterwards.
      When working in any other browser, uploaded files get moved (and possibly resized), but not in Safari. And that why the upload didn't seem to happen at all.
    Why isn't the OnFileUploaded event triggered when working with Safari?

Regards, Marja
  •  01-13-2012, 10:43 AM 72685 in reply to 72683

Kenneth:
    What Mac/safari version you are testing? 

Safari 5.1.1 on Mac OSX 10.7.2

Safari on Windows does not have this issue. All is well there. 

Regards, Marja
  •  01-16-2012, 8:47 AM 72710 in reply to 72685

Kenneth?
    Regards, Marja
  •  01-17-2012, 6:54 AM 72720 in reply to 72710

Hi MarjaR,

We are investigating this issue and will get back to you as soon as possible.

Regards,

Ken
  •  01-24-2012, 5:54 AM 72812 in reply to 72720

Hi Ken,

Any thought yet on this Safari/Mac issue?

Regards, Marja
  •  01-24-2012, 9:05 AM 72815 in reply to 72812

•  01-25-2012, 4:31 AM 72825 in reply to 72815

I just tried the new build with Safari on Mac, but I still see the same issue: the file is upload to the temporary directory, but doesn't get moved to the final destination directory.
    And this still only happens in Safari on Mac. All other browsers are fine, even Safari on Windows.

Regards, Marja
  •  01-25-2012, 9:28 PM 72832 in reply to 72825

MariaR,

Please clear your browser cache when testing.

Do you have problems with this example?

asp.net Chat http://cutesoft.net/ASP.NET+Chat/default.aspx
    Web Messenger: http://cutesoft.net/Web-Messenger/default.aspx
    asp.net wysiwyg editor: http://cutesoft.net/ASP.NET+WYSIWYG+Editor/default.aspx
    asp wysiwyg html editor: http://cutesoft.net/ASP
    asp.net Image Gallery: http://cutesoft.net/ASP.NET+Image+Gallery/default.aspx
    Live Support: http://cutesoft.net/live-support/default.aspx

•  01-26-2012, 1:46 PM 72837 in reply to 72815

I found out why it still didn't work with the new DLL in Safari on Apple (and maybe this was the problem all along):

I have the Ajax Uploader in a popup window, and in that popup window I have the following JavaScript function:
    1. function CuteWebUI_AjaxUploader_OnPostback() {  
    2.     window.filesuploaded = true;  
    3.     var submitbutton = document.getElementById('<%=btnSubmit.ClientID %>');  
    4.     submitbutton.click();  
    5.     wsRefreshOpener();  
    6.     return false;  
    7. }  
    As you can see, wsRefreshOpener() is triggered as part of that routine and wsRefreshOpener called window.close() at the end of its work.
    The popup window then was automatically closed, and the upload turned out to be canceled right there.

Now I've removed the window.close() call, and the upload correctly finishes in Safari as well. The file(s) get uploaded fine now.

Strange that this client-side window.close() call was bothering Safari on Apple so much, and other browsers didn't have a problem with that.
    Oh well...

Regards, Marja
  •  01-28-2012, 9:45 AM 72855 in reply to 72837

This was not the problem all along for sure, since some of our customers have experienced the same thing, and we do not have the uploader in a pop-up.

We still have clients reporting the error after the new version, but we are still investigating to make sure they have in fact cleared their browser cache.

Do we have any options to completely avoid flash/sl? I have tried setting the UploadType to IFrame, but that simply doesnt work at all, no file dialog window is opened.
  •  01-29-2014, 7:19 AM 79857 in reply to 72815

Hi Adam,

My issue is that Ajaxuploader file uploading is not working using safari browser in Windows 7 OS and Mac OS (Snow Leopard).  

I downloaded latest ajaxuploader from your mentioned link and test it in safari web browser in Mac OS. it is not working still and even windows 7 OS.

Could you please any suggestion to solve the issue? 

Thanks

Shan 

View as RSS news feed in XML