Always prompt anonymous users for a display name

Last post 07-05-2011, 4:25 AM by MicioDue. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  12-09-2010, 4:41 AM 65333

Always prompt anonymous users for a display name

Hello,
    I keep using an old CuteChat 3 for a single reason: in version 3 anonymous users was always prompted for a display name entering a room but, starting from version 4, anonymous users automatically have a "guest-#" assigned and are allowed to change it after access. It's not difficult, I know, but my clients do NOT agree and refuse to upgrade. In version 4, forcing a prompt for a display name while an anonymous enters a room appears not simple at all! Is there a way to reproduce the version 3 behavior, in version 4 or in version 5, or should I keep using version 3?
    Thanks in advance.

•  12-09-2010, 1:04 PM 65339 in reply to 65333

Re: Always prompt anonymous users for a display name

Dear MicioDue,

Please edit chat room setting and set the "Allow Anonymous" to false, it will disable the anonymous user login, this feature works in cutechat5.1.

Thank you for asking
    Eric@cutesoft.net  
  •  12-09-2010, 2:00 PM 65340 in reply to 65339

Thanks Eric, I will soon install a trial of latest version to try this setting. I tried in version 4 and it worked but only for registered users; if I don't log in, the server opens the panel asking a display name but in background it says "Anonymous Users are not allowed in this application. You must sign in this website first." and I cannot chat even if I enter a name. I need this feature for full anonymous users, as in version 3.

•  12-17-2010, 10:01 AM 65425 in reply to 65340

Dear MicioDue,

If you disable "Allow Anonymous" in chat room setting, when you don't login and enter the chat room, it will pop up  "Anonymous Users are not allowed in this application. You must sign in this website first". If you enable the "Allow Anonymous",system will assign user name "Guest_xxxx". CuteChat v3.1 and latest version handle this same, no difference.

Thank you for your business
  •  07-05-2011, 4:25 AM 68344 in reply to 65425

Hello Eric,
    My apologies for the long silence; I hope this post will be useful to you and others. :)
    I found an acceptable workaround both for 4 and 5 version, by adding some code in Channel.aspx, at the bottom of  window.onload=function() as follows:

window.onload=function() {

// (original content here...)

function OnLoad_ChangeMyName(newname)
      {
        if(newname)
        {
          ChangeDisplayName(newname);
        }
      }
      Desktop.Prompt(OnLoad_ChangeMyName,TEXT("UI_CONNECTION_NeedName_Message"),TEXT("UI_CONNECTION_NeedName_Title"));
    }

This code is inspired by MyInfoMenu_AddItems() function, found in Channel_New.js of rel. 5.1.

This is not a blocking solution: user's former alias is written anyway in users list few seconds after the dialog appears, but it's updated if the user confirms a new alias pressing OK and is otherwise confirmed if Cancel is pressed.

Hope this helps.

View as RSS news feed in XML