UpdatePanel, jQuery, Safari

Last post 03-22-2010, 8:43 AM by bczengel. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  03-20-2010, 12:17 AM 59526

UpdatePanel, jQuery, Safari

I'm having a problem with the editor in an updatepanel in a jquery ui dialog (fake popup).  When I display the dialog in Safari 4.0 the editor is non functioning.  You cannot place your cursor in the WYSIWYG.  There is an error in the console "Result of expression 'editor' [null] is not an object.".  When I pre populate the editor with text from the server side the hidden textarea contains the text but the editor appears blank.  

I've tried both reloading the iframe src and running the javascript in the onload event of the img tag with 1x1.gif,  I've tried these possible solutions both in conjunction and separately.  If I had to venture a guess, I would say there is a script reference not being loaded properly that the editor requires.  This may be do to the fact that the way the jquery ui dialog works it to take the container (in this case a div) that the editor is in and skin it by creating the dialog structure and then moving the content, including the editor, into it.  

I can provide an example if required but it will be difficult because we use the editor in a web application behind authentication.  I would rather not have to change too drastically my methods (updatepanel, jquery ui dialog) because it works great and looks great in IE and Firefox and its taken a lot of work to get it to this point.  I would sooner just switch to a different editor.  

A user posted this on the ExtJS forum that seems to be a very similar issue.  I've even gotten the 'editdoc' error when trying to reload the iframe src.

Also, do you have any suggestions to increase performance when displaying multiple editors at one time.  We are using 5-6 editors on one page and it takes a long time to load all of them.  Any help  would be greatly appreciated.

•  03-21-2010, 10:15 PM 59540 in reply to 59526

Re: UpdatePanel, jQuery, Safari

Hi bczengel,

After editor loaded, it can not be moved. It will cause that the iframe  which inside editor will not be loaded.

Regards,

ken
  •  03-22-2010, 8:43 AM 59555 in reply to 59540

Re: UpdatePanel, jQuery, Safari

Ken,
       Then how come reloading the iframe src after I've moved it causes errors? There must be something else going wrong.  Is there anything I can do, any javascript I can run that will bring the editor back to life, or a way to delay the initialization of the wysiwyg until I'm done moving it?

And you didn't answer my second question.  Is there a way to increase performance when using many editors on one page?

Thank you,
    bczengel
View as RSS news feed in XML