Anchor tags in firefox.

Last post 01-05-2010, 3:13 PM by SavageAnne. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  11-04-2009, 8:34 PM 56917

Anchor tags in firefox.

After a year plus hiatus, my client is again interested in getting anchor tags to work in firefox.  I had originally posted this back in September of 2008.  While it was supposed to work, it never did, but since our focus moved on to other things I didn't worry about it.   But now I'm hoping we can get it fixed for real.

I've done some more testing and narrowed down the issue, which I hope will help you fix it.   I can't reproduce it on your demo site, because it's only the PasteHTML function that's funky.  The setHTML function works slightly differently.  FYI - I have downloaded the most recent version as of last week 10/29.

Here's a link to a test page on my site http://www.scientificinquiry.org/JavaScript-API.asp
    I'd be happy to email this to you. I tried to attach it to this post, but I got a permissions error.  In any case, this is the exact same as your demo page, I just added some more PasteHTML() buttons and added some comments.

The behavior changes depending on whether there's a word, a space or nothing at all between the anchor tags.
    • If there's a word between the tags neither FireFox nor IE show a flag.  I kind of think any anchor tag without an href= should show the flag, but at least the two are consistent.  So I guess that's a feature request, rather than a bug.

• If there's a space between the tags, IE strips the space and shows a flag immediately upon insertion.  FireFox never shows a flag (unless you edit out the space).  That seems to me like a bug in the firefox version.  I'd like it to behave like IE (strip the space and show the flag).  But I can see that someone else might say it's an IE bug, IE shouldn't be stripping the space.   But either way the two should perform the same way.

• If there's nothing at all, IE shows a flag immediately.  Firefox doesn't.  But if you flip to HTML in firefox, you see that Cuteeditor has inserted an unexpected style attribute that forces the flag to show, so flipping back does cause the flag to show.  I think Cute adding the style is pretty clearly a bug.  I don't think Cute should be inserting stuff like that in my HTML.

(Note that if you return to HTML, edit out the unexpected style, and return to normal view, the flag still shows, as it should have from the beginning.)
    Anything you could do to help would be much appreciated.

- Anne
  •  11-09-2009, 4:05 PM 56995 in reply to 56917

Re: Anchor tags in firefox.

•  11-16-2009, 12:10 PM 57186 in reply to 56995

Hi Adam -  I don't think it's possible for me to test this on the demo site.  As I mentioned in my original post, it only doesn't work when the relevant anchors are inserted using the "PasteHTML" function.   Your http://cutesoft.net/asp/JavaScript-API.asp page uses "PasteHTML" to insert "this is a test".   If your goal is to test it on your server, perhaps you could modify that page to allow the user to enter the html that is entered by the "Insert HTML" button?  Alternatively, I could email you my test page in which I took your  JavaScript-API.asp and edited to insert the troublesome html.    - Anne
  •  12-07-2009, 9:23 AM 57650 in reply to 57186

Hi -  Could I get a response, please? - Anne
  •  12-07-2009, 2:11 PM 57656 in reply to 57650

•  01-05-2010, 3:13 PM 58058 in reply to 57656

It works!  Hallelujah.  For others who may be interested the key was to explicitly use quot; around the html id and name as in

<a id=&quot;1000&quot; name=&quot;MyName&quot;></a>

Thanks for the help Adam, you suggestion that I look at custombuttons-popup pushed me to figure this out.

View as RSS news feed in XML