Developer license vs. Small Business License

Last post 01-05-2010, 7:51 AM by Eric. 7 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  12-23-2009, 11:57 PM 57917

Developer license vs. Small Business License

what's "developer license" mean?

"Developer License:

A developer license entitles a single developer to install and use the product on one machine.

Developer licenses apply to software components, control or class libraries that are integrated by developers into their applications. All developer products have royalty free runtimes. This means that you may freely distribute the product with your application."

if I buy  Small Business License, can I install 1 on my development server
    and 1 on my production server?
    if so, seems there is no need to buy developer license.

Filed under:
  •  12-24-2009, 9:02 AM 57921 in reply to 57917

Re: Developer license vs. Small Business License

A Domain license allows the control to run on 1 domain/subdomain name, ie http://news.domain.com or http://intranet or http://192.168.0.1

A Small Business License allows 10 such names

An IP license enables all the domains/subdomains hosted on this IP@ to use the control.

All license options are good for http://localhost. I'd highly recommend Small Business License as it's the most popular choice among our customers. Out of the 10 names, you can use one or two for the internal dev server ie. http://intranet while keep the rest for your production servers.
    You are right. If you only have a few names to run Image Gallery on, there is no need to buy developer license. Developer license benefits a single developer with many sites.

Thanks for asking
  •  12-24-2009, 1:55 PM 57932 in reply to 57921

Thanks for replying!

But 
    "A developer license entitles a single developer to install and use the product on ONE machine."
    how "Developer license benefits a single developer with many sites"?

if I buy 1  developer license can I install on 20 domains of 20 different machines I developed?
     If yes, then I understand the benefit of developer license.
    If no,  can you show me a case where developer license is better than other options?
    I can think of a case where I have one physical machine but running 20 domains of 20 different IPs,
    is this the only case where developer license make sense?

•  12-24-2009, 4:05 PM 57933 in reply to 57932

Dear mikelou,

If you purchase developer license, you can use this license in any websites which you develop.

Regards,
    Eric

•  12-24-2009, 5:30 PM 57934 in reply to 57933

then being the same price,
    under what condition , "developer license" is better than Redistribution License?

Redistribution License is for "single commercial application", what info do we provide to restrict "single commercial application"?

For "small business license", do we provide 10 domain name at purchase time, or we can provide the domain names later?

thanks!
  •  12-28-2009, 9:00 AM 57949 in reply to 57934

Dear mikelou,

This Redistribution License allows DotNetGallery to be distributed within a single commercial application. It also entitles unlimited number of developers within the company to install and use the product for that single commercial application development (for 1 application only).

Redistribution license is for a business has a prodcut, say online email or forum to sell. This product needs DotNetGallery to be part of it. Embeded in the package and sell to the end users. Say if the redistribution license is to cover your online email system, then you can't use it for your forum as it will require another Redistribution license. Enterprise license = unlimited Redistribution

This Small Business license allows the use of CuteEditor .NET for up to 10 domain/subdomain names deployed by a single company. You don't have to submit 10 names all at once. Start with a couple and then add more gradually without a deadline.

Regards,
    Eric

•  01-02-2010, 1:20 PM 58014 in reply to 57949

Thanks for answering the domain license part.

but still not clear about
    being the same price,
    under what condition , "developer license" is better than Redistribution License?
  •  01-05-2010, 7:51 AM 58053 in reply to 58014

Dear mikelou,

This Developer license entitles one developer to install and use the product on unlimited number of websites.It applies to software components, control or class libraries that are integrated by developers into their applications. All developer products have royalty free runtimes. This means that you may freely distribute the product with your own application.

This Redistribution License allows Control to be distributed within a single commercial application. It also entitles unlimited number of developers within the company to install and use the product for that single commercial application development (for 1 application only).

The difference between Developer and Redistribution license is
    1. Developer license is designed for single developer business. This license allows this single developer to use our product freely into his/her applications. We will keep the developer's info on file as the point of contact for technical support. More than 1 developer? 2-4 = Developer Team license and unlimited = Enterprise License

2. Redistribution license is for a business has a prodcut, say online email or forum to sell. This product needs our product to be part of it. Embeded in the package and sell to the end users. Say if the redistribution license is to cover your online email system, then you can't use it for your forum as it will require another Redistribution license. Enterprise license = unlimited Redistribution

Regards,
    Eric
View as RSS news feed in XML