Operator Console - Error at Login: (503) Server Unavailable

Last post 05-06-2009, 2:52 PM by ByronJones. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  04-03-2009, 2:02 PM 50776

Operator Console - Error at Login: (503) Server Unavailable

When my users login, they receive the following error message most (but not all) of the the time:

Failed to connect chat service:
       System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an eror: (503) Server Unavailable.
       at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndGetResponse(IAsyncResultasyncResult)
       at LiveSupport.ClientBase.SendContext.SendSync()
       at LiveSupport.ClientBase.SeondContext.Send()
       at LiveSupport.ClientBase.SendRequest(...)
       at LiveSupport.ChatClient.Connect(Boolean now)
       at LiveSupport.MyApp.Run()

I adjusted the Website URL to avoid our proxy server, but that doesn't seem to have made a difference.  Any suggestions for how I can diagnose and resolve this issue would be appreciated.

I should note that we demo'd the app on a test website on the same server without issue.  It was only when we went into production that we started having this problem.

Thanks - Byron Jones, BSJ Consulting, Inc.

for Josef Silny & Associates, Inc.  www.jsilny.com
  •  04-08-2009, 12:34 PM 50883 in reply to 50776

Re: Operator Console - Error at Login: (503) Server Unavailable

Please note that this is an issue which is seriously impacting a production system, so a prompt resolution to this issue would be much appreciated by my clients.

Thanks - Byron Jones
  •  04-08-2009, 12:46 PM 50885 in reply to 50883

•  04-12-2009, 11:19 PM 51015 in reply to 50885

It would seem that we are seeing the same type of error as the customer in that thread, however, we aren't running the Oracle product they mention, so their resolution doesn't provide any help for us.

The website www.jsilny.com is a basic company website, with a relatively small customer portal running custom asp.net pages connecting to a SQL Server DB.  The number of visitors at any one time is fairly low; less than 20 simultaneous visitors at peak times.

I can tell you that when we brought Live Support online, it caused a huge performance hit, with web pages loading slower, and occasional timeouts just visiting the website.  This wasn't the case during testing, when we ran Live Support on a development version of the website running on the same server, but on a port not exposed past the firewall.  I was hoping this error was one that you had seen enough before that it would be a straightforward fix.

I'll turn up the error logging, and start wading through the logs and try to get some good data to post here.
  •  05-06-2009, 2:52 PM 51892 in reply to 51015

RESOLUTION

The error was being caused by a limit in the number of connections on the website.

To confirm this, we checked the HTTPERR Log files located in:
       %SYSTEMROOT%\System32\LogFiles\HTTPERR\

The log showed ConnLimit as the cause of the 503 errors.

This can be resolved in the IIS Manager via:

Website -> Properties -> Performance -> Connections Limited to: (We went from 50 to 500 to resolve for us. YMMV)

View as RSS news feed in XML