NukeEdit4 error: You do not have access to view this module within this portal.

Last post 03-27-2009, 2:08 PM by scradam. 21 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (22 items)   1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  08-14-2008, 3:05 PM 42977

NukeEdit4 error: You do not have access to view this module within this portal.

I seem to be having somewhat the same problem as that mentioned in http://cutesoft.net/forums/2/3765/ShowThread.aspx except I'm using DNN 4.8.1 and the version of NukeEdit that was posted on August 7th (ver. 6.1?).  When I hit "Update" once finished altering text, I received the following error:

[Exclamation Icon] You do not have access to view this module within this portal.

I've been able to get around the problem by granting specific usernames access directly to each HTML module (as opposed to relying on role membership).
    Here are some additional details of my troubleshooting:
    • The problem seems to be specific to child portals.
    • The problem was not always present; the problem just appeared a couple of days ago and I'm not sure of what could have caused it.
    • The problem may be inconsistent.  The problem was first reported to me yesterday, so I created a test account and was able to successfully consistently reproduce the problem.  Today, however, the problem persists for the original user that reported the issue, but I'm no longer able to reproduce the error.
    • An administrator can workaround the error if they explicitely grant themselves edit access to the particular instance of the Text/HTML module instead of relying on role membership.
    • Unlike the original thread that discussed this issue, we are not using "localhost".  That gave me the impression that it might be related to cookies, but the problem did not go away after I cleared out my temporary internet files and cookies.
    • Restarting IIS didn't help.
    • I'm using DotNetNuke version 4.8.1.
    • I tested via two different child portals on two different sites.  I was able to reproduce the problem reliably yesterday on both sites & servers but not I cannot reproduce the problem at all today.
    • People with Host/Super-user privilege have not been effected (yet).  They can edit just fine.
    • Creating a new special role other than relying on the Administrators role does not help.  Only granting access to individual users seems to help.
    • Giving "Edit" access to the "All Users" role will make the problem go away too.
    • This error only occurs via the "Edit Text" link when using the Rich Text (Cute Editor) editor.  The error does not occur when editing the content inline or when using the basic textbox editor.

I don't need a lot of attention on this issue because I have a halfway decent workaround, but I'm posting the issue nonetheless in case anyone has any advice.  Namely, can anyone think of some sort of cache somewhere that might be corrupt?

•  08-14-2008, 3:35 PM 42978 in reply to 42977

Re: NukeEdit4 error: You do not have access to view this module within this portal.

Update: further tests reveal that the problem still persists for my test account.  I made the problem go away by granting my test account "Administrator" access to the root portal.  Could it be that the CuteSoft editor evaluates role membership for parent portal and not child portals?  If nothing else, I can see if I can debug this myself somehow.
  •  08-15-2008, 12:04 PM 42999 in reply to 42977

Re: NukeEdit4 error: You do not have access to view this module within this portal.

I've resorted to testing with a clean installation.  I think I can safely say that the NukeEdit version of Cute Editor does not work properly with Child Portals on DNN version 4.8.1 or 4.8.4.  I suppose next I'll see if I can pick through the sourcecode somehow.
  •  08-15-2008, 12:39 PM 43000 in reply to 42999

scradam,

We are investigating this issue and will get back to you as soon as possible.

asp.net Chat http://cutesoft.net/ASP.NET+Chat/default.aspx
    Web Messenger: http://cutesoft.net/Web-Messenger/default.aspx
    asp.net wysiwyg editor: http://cutesoft.net/ASP.NET+WYSIWYG+Editor/default.aspx
    asp wysiwyg html editor: http://cutesoft.net/ASP
    asp.net Image Gallery: http://cutesoft.net/ASP.NET+Image+Gallery/default.aspx
    Live Support: http://cutesoft.net/live-support/default.aspx

•  08-15-2008, 4:40 PM 43003 in reply to 43000

Thank you for your response!  If you're curious, you should be able to reproduce the problem under the following circumstance: 
    1. Create a child portal.
    2. Create a new test user account that has administrator access to this new child portal but does not have administrator access to the parent portal.
    3. Log in with this new test user account and create a Text/HTML module instance.
    4. Click "Edit Text", alter the content somehow, and then hit "Update" to see your results.
    Once you hit "Update", you should either be prompted to log in again or you should receive an access denied message (it varies depending upon how you have authentication setup).

The key here is that it seems to evaluate parent portal roles, host/super-user access, and direct access, but not child portal roles.  (If a user has Administrator privilege to the root/parent portal, they cannot reproduce the problem.)

Please let me know if you have any further questions or if there is anything I can do to help troubleshoot.  Otherwise, if nothing else, I'll look into it further next week as well.  Thanks again!
  •  09-05-2008, 5:11 AM 43642 in reply to 43003

Mates change the control type to which you are redirecting.  It should not be Edit. Make it view and then this will work for you
  •  09-11-2008, 1:54 PM 43855 in reply to 43642

kunalraghuwanshi, I don't quite understand.  My understanding of both the Cute Editor and DNN is a bit limited.  If you happen to read this, can you reiterate in further detail?

Adam (or anyone else who has any ideas), I've stared at the code for several hours, tried changing a few things, and then posting a new CE provider DLL, but I haven't got it fixed yet.  I tried comparing the CE provider to the default FCK provider, but I haven't found anything blatantly obvious.  Unfortunately, I just don't understand the architectures well enough to easily pinpoint the problem.  Can you help point me any further in the right direction?  I'd really appreciate just about any pointers or recommendations.

Thanks for the help in advance.
  •  09-11-2008, 2:47 PM 43857 in reply to 43855

I've set up an online demo:

Please check it.

Username: Membership
    Password: Membership

Keep me posted

asp.net Chat http://cutesoft.net/ASP.NET+Chat/default.aspx
    Web Messenger: http://cutesoft.net/Web-Messenger/default.aspx
    asp.net wysiwyg editor: http://cutesoft.net/ASP.NET+WYSIWYG+Editor/default.aspx
    asp wysiwyg html editor: http://cutesoft.net/ASP
    asp.net Image Gallery: http://cutesoft.net/ASP.NET+Image+Gallery/default.aspx
    Live Support: http://cutesoft.net/live-support/default.aspx

•  09-11-2008, 4:58 PM 43863 in reply to 43857

Thank you for your response.  I was able to edit the "Welcome To DotNetNuke" module.  Did you grant this account edit access by assigning "Membership" edit privileges directly to the module?  I have found that the problem is only reproducible when an account is granted access via a child portal role.  For instance, I should theoretically have problems if you instead remove direct edit access for the "Membership" username, create a test role in the child portal, add "Membership" to that role, and then grant that role edit access to the module.

Additional interesting behavior on this test site is that although "Membership" is able to successfully edit, it seems to be automatically logged out after a successful edit.  Could to the two behaviors be related?

Thanks again for your help.
  •  09-11-2008, 6:35 PM 43867 in reply to 43857

I wish I had more to offer than describing symptoms at the moment, but here's another:

In my clean test setup, when my child test account was not registered at all on the root portal, the CuteSoft editor didn't even launch in the child portal of my clean test setup.  When my child-only portal account was not also registered as a root portal user and I clicked the "Edit Text" link in the child portal, I got the "Failed to load impl code!" error mentioned in http://cutesoft.net/forums/2/35985/ShowThread.aspx.

Then the behavior changed when I added and then removed my child account from the root:  Now, when attempting to edit text in the child portal, my DNN session is killed once I open the Cute Editor.  If I hit "Update" or if I attempt to refresh the editor, I receive a login prompt.

I speculate that the problem may have something to do with cookies.  It's just speculation though.  Does the Cute Editor for DNN use cookies explicitely - and/or might it perhaps use a DNN API that uses cookies in a way that DNN doesn't like?

Sorry I'm such a user here.  Thanks yet again for the attention.
  •  09-23-2008, 9:00 AM 44190 in reply to 43867

I haven't had time to review the entire thread so excuse me if I cover old ground.

I experienced the same problem this week where CuteEditor would log me out in a child portal environment.

Basically, I copied a live working installation locally and updated my portal aliases accordingly. I then found that when I logged in as a standard user and visited a page that hosted the CuteEditor, I would be logged out on the next post back.

I managed to fix the problem as follows, however, this might not work for everyone as my application only uses the text editor in a specific portal - namely portal id 5.

In IIS I had set up a virtual directory for my installation using an appropriate name (e.g. localhost/website). This means that the portal aliases table had to be updated to enable me to work locally, i.e. localhost/website/portal1, localhost/website/portal2, localhost/website/portal3, etc. I also created an entry localhost/website so that this would be picked up by default when I ran my application in Visual Studio. Unfortunately, I had assigned this last entry to portal 3 – not 5 where I use the text editor control.

By changing this last assignment to portal 5 I was able to fix the issue. This will not work for installations where the text editor is used on multiple portals but hopefully this should point people in the right direction.

•  11-03-2008, 4:07 AM 45317 in reply to 44190

Hi. We have a client that run almost 200 child portals. A big Univeristy. We advised them to buy Cute Editor which they did and everything was tested using a Host account. Now it has gone live and admin users in child portals are experiencing the same problem as mentioned in this thread. (DNN 4.8.4)

This seems to be going for quite some time without a solution. Why? Can anyone at Cutesoft please tell me what the solution is to get around this problem?
  •  11-03-2008, 7:12 AM 45320 in reply to 45317

Hi raldo,

We are investigating this issue and will get back to you as soon as possible.

Regards,

Ken
  •  11-03-2008, 7:15 AM 45321 in reply to 45317

I feel your pain.  I spent days and days troubleshooting it.  I still don't have it working.  I gave up for now.  The best workaround seems to be to grant individual people access to specific modules as opposed to granting access via roles and/or pages.  To reiterate, the only way I've been able to get around the problem is to add each author's username to the "Edit" function on each module they need to edit with the CuteSoft editor.  Unfortunately, this workaround wasn't good enough for our environment, so we've disabled the CuteSoft editor until I can make some time to see if things are different when CuteSoft releases a new version and/or when there is a new version of DNN.

Good luck though.  I too would very much like to know if anyone finds a good solution for this.
  •  11-04-2008, 12:40 AM 45348 in reply to 45321

What I don't understand is that this was reported months ago and it still hasn't been resolved. In our case we have over 200 portals and quite a few administrators per portal. This is a massive site with lots of users, so giving users individual edit rights per module is not an option.

A few hundred dollars have now been spent on the editor so lets hope Cutesoft gives this the attention it deserves. It should not be advertised as a DotNetNuke compatible editor if it doesn't support child portals.
  •  11-06-2008, 8:22 AM 45463 in reply to 45348

Any news?
  •  11-06-2008, 10:35 AM 45464 in reply to 45463

•  11-06-2008, 12:02 PM 45471 in reply to 45464

Thanks

However, your news section says:

"The Cute Editor team is pleased to announce that the long-awaited version 6.2 has
    finally been released."

So how long will I need to wait if a long awaited 6.2 has just been released? I need some indication so that I know if we should look for an alternative and ask for a refund on the cute editor.
  •  01-14-2009, 2:35 AM 47719 in reply to 45471

OK, any news on when version 6.3 will be out as it is about 2 months later and we still don't have an answer. Should we consider asking for a refund as the editor is basically useless to us because of this bug.
  •  01-27-2009, 6:16 AM 48082 in reply to 47719

Any feedback? Cutesoft seems to be very quiet on this thread.
Page 1 of 2 (22 items)   1 2 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML