updates for asp version - what the ...

Last post 01-16-2008, 11:14 AM by Adam. 9 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  04-19-2006, 2:10 AM 18326

updates for asp version - what the ...

I bought a cuteedit asp version.

I simply can't believe that, to understand if a new fix has been issued, I have to download the same zip file again and check for binary differences between the actual one and the previous one I had, renaming the new one with a different name !!!

Since you do not send update emails to your customers, even to those (like me) who asked you to do so, and since the asp version is not downloadable from the downloads page, and there is even not a personal page with special access only to asp updates, are you planning some other way to support your paying customers with a better solution ?

•  04-20-2006, 3:21 AM 18370 in reply to 18326

Re: updates for asp version - what the ...

The think I like most of all of your support is the way you turn around to direct and simply questions like the one I did.
    If I translate it, your response is:
    "Dear Customer, we are not planning to give you a more confortable way to update your payed product. You need to check by yourself, because we don't have time to create a list with emails and send you an email when an update has been released. And we will not apply any "versioning" to our product, since we don't care: the problem it's up to you, and different version updates will have same versioning and same file name. If you want, download it, extract all the files and see if size has changed in some files. If so, you'll understand it's a new version."

Trying not to question about your catastrophic sense of "customer support", the point here it's that we don't need to download a component only because something is not working on our version and the same thing is, instead, working on yours online, but because we would like to know if a new update has been released or not. This is quite simple. And, also, how much is the "distance" from our version with the actual one. If I have a 5.2.1 version and the actual one is 5.2.2 maybe I do not care. If the actual one is 5.2.9 I know that a lot of work has been done to fix various things: by the other hands, a new update can fix errors we haven't been able to find, or our customers found and didn't tell us.

Talking of "history" is maybe too much. In case you don't know, it's a "think" where normally developers write down the differences and fixes between one versioning number and the other.

Please, since you are making some money with all this, try to grow as a real software company. Accepting and carefully listening to your customers, and giving then more intelligent and less diplomatic responses, knowing when to ignore them and when not.

And, most of all, read their ENTIRE EMAILS, as I'm still waiting for a response (PLEASE, only a direct YES or NO) to my request of reissuing a license IP for my CUTEEDIT .NET version, bindend to a wrong IP address that I'll never be able to use - as you already know.

Thanks.
  •  04-21-2006, 4:14 AM 18411 in reply to 18370

I gave up long ago asking for this. I just download the file every week or so and append the name of the file to it.

I do a compare to look for differences.

RC
  •  05-01-2006, 4:31 AM 18623 in reply to 18411

I simply gave up altogether.

I come back and check every few months to see if there are any new posts regarding a newer version.

It really is quite sad that us paying customers get so little support in this area.
    Its not difficult to append a version number on each new version. I guess Cutesoft just doesnt care, but what can you do.
    Once they have your $$, they dont care.

•  05-02-2006, 5:57 AM 18681 in reply to 18623

I do not think it that they do not care, more that they have no mechinism or resources to so the proper management and notification. A simple web tracking application of current users in a SQL database (or access) should be created, and the email sent when the fix is posted. Use something like the Persist ASPEmail application and queuing feature and you can post several thousand messages in a matter of a few seconds with minimal over head (the queued email connects to the SMTP as needed thru a control panel service and does not cause a delay). You can even track bounced back emails. If the system is SQL driven, the unique keys or licenses could be generated for each individual client and attached to the email as a memory attachement. If anyone at CuteSoft is interested, I already have a standard ASP application and SQL database that is very similar to this and could be easily modified to your match your needs.

RC

p.s. the Persist Tech support is worse
  •  01-02-2008, 6:07 PM 36121 in reply to 18681

this thread is hilarious!

Even though no one is likely still reading...yes Persits customer support is worse, but at least
    he has figured out version numbers and proper release techniques.

To be honest, my impression is that resources are slim and focus is on the .net version and
    other items. The ASP Classic version is in quasi-maintenance mode - at least that's how it
    seems to me given the lackluster approach to managing releases, builds, documenting revisions,
    etc., etc.

I've been hacking around in this code for a couple of days trying to get it to work as desired
    with my application. Some things work well, other don't. But I certainly do not relish the idea
    of trying to stay in step with releases and will probably look elsewhere once my customer
    outgrows (or becomes too frustrated with) this solution.

•  01-16-2008, 10:42 AM 36353 in reply to 36121

ASP Classic is definitely not the focus.  With updates and support, it certainly gives the feel of a dying/dead product.
    Imagine my surprise when v6 came out.

As for some suggestions for updates, I would still like some Strict output. Call me a masochist, but I like having everything XHTML1 Strict Compliant. Maybe giving us the option to replace certain code, like if I want, I could replace <strong> with <span style="font:bold;">. Just some ideas. Spell check in Classic is still a pain in the *** for me & my clients. Also, more descriptive and expansive documentation. That would be a great start!
  •  01-16-2008, 11:14 AM 36361 in reply to 36353

>>ASP Classic is definitely not the focus.  With updates and support, it certainly gives the feel of a dying/dead product.

It's not correct. ASP, PHP and .NET version shares the same set of the JavaScript code.

>>Spell check in Classic is still a pain in the *** for me & my clients.

This spell checker is same as .NET version.

asp.net Chat http://cutesoft.net/ASP.NET+Chat/default.aspx
    Web Messenger: http://cutesoft.net/Web-Messenger/default.aspx
    asp.net wysiwyg editor: http://cutesoft.net/ASP.NET+WYSIWYG+Editor/default.aspx
    asp wysiwyg html editor: http://cutesoft.net/ASP
    asp.net Image Gallery: http://cutesoft.net/ASP.NET+Image+Gallery/default.aspx
    Live Support: http://cutesoft.net/live-support/default.aspx

View as RSS news feed in XML