users removed from chat due to inactivity

Last post 11-12-2007, 11:51 PM by stimpy77. 29 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (30 items)   1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  11-06-2007, 8:32 PM 34863

users removed from chat due to inactivity

I just installed the version 4 chat program, but I'm unable to sit in a chat room without seeing this error after a few minutes:

You are removed from the channel due to inactivity.

I tried adjusting the settings in the Chat Admin, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.
  •  11-06-2007, 10:58 PM 34866 in reply to 34863

Re: users removed from chat due to inactivity

Is the IIS using "Web garden" ?

If so , please set the "Maximum number of worker processes" to 1 .

Other wise the ASP.NET would have too many processes working .

Regards , Terry .
  •  11-07-2007, 12:48 PM 34886 in reply to 34866

I checked with my host and they said it is already set to 1.  Please try setting your settings to 20 minutes or something in the admin config, and see if it will let you stay in there that long without typing.  I want to change mine to at least 540 minutes...but get logged out after about 5 minutes still.
  •  11-07-2007, 8:12 PM 34890 in reply to 34886

•  11-07-2007, 10:25 PM 34892 in reply to 34886

Can you try to test these ? :

A. try to send a message every a few seconds.

B. join the chat in one browser , and after 2 minutes , join the chat using another browser .

If all conversations disconnected in same time , I think the ASP.NET is reseted by an unknown reason .

I will help to find the reason after you get a conclusion .

Regards , Terry .

•  11-07-2007, 10:39 PM 34893 in reply to 34863

I have check the code.
    I made a mistake on this configuration.
    Sorry much for that.

We will upload new version to the server soon.

Regards , Terry .
  •  11-08-2007, 1:08 AM 34894 in reply to 34893

That's ok.  Can you please post the code correction here, and which file...so I can just edit it myself?  That way I won't have to download the entire package again.   Thanks.
  •  11-08-2007, 1:47 AM 34895 in reply to 34894

selliott,

>>so I can just edit it myself? 

No. You have to download the control again.

Please download the control again and overwrite the Dlls, client files.

Keep me posted

asp.net Chat http://cutesoft.net/ASP.NET+Chat/default.aspx
    Web Messenger: http://cutesoft.net/Web-Messenger/default.aspx
    asp.net wysiwyg editor: http://cutesoft.net/ASP.NET+WYSIWYG+Editor/default.aspx
    asp wysiwyg html editor: http://cutesoft.net/ASP
    asp.net Image Gallery: http://cutesoft.net/ASP.NET+Image+Gallery/default.aspx
    Live Support: http://cutesoft.net/live-support/default.aspx

•  11-08-2007, 2:47 AM 34896 in reply to 34895

Cool.  It appears to be fixed!
    I downloaded the package and reuploaded the files from the "bin" folder and the files from the "CuteSoft_Client>CuteSoft" folder (but not all the sub folders...just the XML sub folder).
  •  11-08-2007, 8:39 PM 34925 in reply to 34896

Tonight is the first time I've really used this new system with multiple people in the chat room, and I'm still seeing problems with this.  It doesn't seem to affect everyone...and even though it says users are being disconnected "due to inactivity"...I'm not sure that's it. 

Sometimes it says it in the chat room when they are logging in (before they even get logged in)...then they log in ok.  Other times it just says it when they lose connection...though I suspect they just lost connection for other reasons, yet the error displays the "due to inactivity" error.

ALSO - Sometimes it says the user was disconnected "due to inactivity" then they are automatically logged right back in.  Sometimes they don't even notice they were disconnected...but the error is still displayed in the chat room.
  •  11-08-2007, 11:10 PM 34933 in reply to 34925

selliott :

Did the users disconnect at the same time ?

Is the network too slow ? How long did it delay when the message appear after an user post a message  ?

Regards , Terry .
  •  11-09-2007, 12:37 AM 34934 in reply to 34933

No, they didn't disconnect at the same time.  It was happening to some people more than others though. 

The network didn't seem slow at all.  Sometimes my post would post immediately, and sometimes maybe take a second or two at most. 

I'm not sure if it was actually kicking them out for inactivity, because if it removed them for inactivity...shouldn't they have to click "connect" to come back in?  It almost acted like it just said that sometimes, when a user just lost connection.  And some of them would get removed for inactivity (according to the error in the chat room), yet would automatically get logged back in.  And some people were never affected. I didn't get disconnected a single time myself.  But I saw that inactivity error a whole lot tonight for some of the other users.
  •  11-09-2007, 3:52 PM 34943 in reply to 34934

I'm not sure if it'll make a difference, but I had forgot to upload the Languages files from the recently updated download.  I uploaded those, so I'll see if that helps.
  •  11-09-2007, 4:57 PM 34944 in reply to 34943

Update: Didn't make a difference.  A user came in and was kicked out within a minute.  The "removed from the channel due to inactivity" was displayed again.

EDIT:  Another Update.  I've had a few users clear out their temp files, cookies..etc, and that seems to have helped them.  Is it possible something is causing a conflict with old files that are stored in browsers from the old v3 program?
  •  11-09-2007, 9:39 PM 34946 in reply to 34944

The error message have a small bug because it display the same message when disconnect for any reason.

Can you post an URL so I can do a test ?

Regards , Terry .
  •  11-09-2007, 10:03 PM 34948 in reply to 34946

www.redlinechat.com  We have a chat going on right now.

I might have to downgrade back to v3.  My users are really ticked that they are getting kicked out so often.
  •  11-09-2007, 10:55 PM 34950 in reply to 34948

I will test it soon. I need wait the mail for the password.

•  11-09-2007, 11:01 PM 34951 in reply to 34948

By the way ? have you downloaded the last version?
    The older version have a bug that may disconnect the user in a few minutes.

Before you download it , you can modify the config and test it :

Open the chat admin page, and then change all room's property "HistoryDay" to 30 .

Regards , Terry .
  •  11-09-2007, 11:16 PM 34952 in reply to 34863

Chat activity at http://community.equisearch.com/forums/ in Off The Wall. Had same problem.

I *think* we fixed the problem by going in as admin and changing the global chat settings for Inactivity Timeout from default/blank (defaults to 120 seconds) to 7200 seconds. But it could be just luck, we've only had a couple hours to test the change.

Clearly a bug; seems the AJAX callbacks for polling for new messages is not properly resetting the inactivity timer.

On the other hand, if I log out of Community Server and log in as a different member, the previous account eventually times out in a couple minutes even though I changed the timeout to 7200 seconds (this is good).

So it seems that, at best, the bug is that the default is WAAAAY too short. 120 seconds is acceptable for AJAX callback timeouts. But not for chat messages; I don't know anyone on the planet who hangs out in a chat room and doesn't stop to listen for more than a couple minutes.
  •  11-09-2007, 11:39 PM 34956 in reply to 34952

Thanks to point this out.

the Inactivity Timeout if for the user who close the browser not correctly .

7200 is too large . maybe 300 is better.

If the site administrator need to change this configuration , that means the network is not good .
    When a user's network is too slow, the server consider the browser is closed and then disconnect it .

Regards , Terry .
Page 1 of 2 (30 items)   1 2 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML