Database Error : System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: SQL Server does not exist or access denied

Last post 07-31-2004, 10:55 AM by Rgain. 16 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  07-28-2004, 8:10 AM 1341

Database Error : System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: SQL Server does not exist or access denied

Hi guys,

I just downloaded the CuteChat v1 and runs on a Win2003 Web Edition server and MSDE, no other dotnet forum softwareinstalled, so I used the CuteChatSample. I manually installed the CuteChat and when I enter the admin and password credential on the default page, it turns out these errors:

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[SqlException: SQL Server does not exist or access denied.]
       System.Data.SqlClient.ConnectionPool.GetConnection(Boolean& isInTransaction) +472
       System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionPoolManager.GetPooledConnection(SqlConnectionString options, Boolean& isInTransaction) +370
       System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open() +384
       CuteChatSample.SiteConfig.OpenConnection()
       CuteChatSample.Login1.Button1_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e) +108
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +57
       System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +18
       System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData) +33
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +1277

My configurations on Web.Config are:
    server=MSDESQL;database=CuteChatSample;UID=websqlquiry;PWD=abcde;App=CuteChat (websqlquiry is made the dbo of the cutechatsample database)
    3. Configuration/cuteChat/Providers/Provider@
    name ="Sample" sqlDataProviderType="CuteChatSample.SQLOLEDB,CuteChatSample"

Can you advise me any part of the configuration is wrong, or it is something else?
    Thanks in advance.

Rgain
  •  07-28-2004, 9:47 AM 1342 in reply to 1341

Re: Database Error : System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: SQL Server does not exist or access denied

Hi Rgain :

Your connection string is :
    server=MSDESQL;database=CuteChatSample;UID=websqlquiry;PWD=abcde;App=CuteChat

Is the MSDESQL the name of your pc ? or it's just an instance of SqlServer on your pc?
    If so , the connection string should be :

server=localhost\MSDESQL;database=CuteChatSample;UID=websqlquiry;PWD=abcde;App=CuteChat

and the provider 'Sample' should be :
    <provider name="Sample" sqlDataProviderType="CuteChatSample.MySqlDataProvider,CuteChatSample" />

(The CuteChatSample.MySqlDataProvider is an buildin class for the sample , please see CuteChatSample/MySqlDataProvider.cs for more)

--------

You could run [START]-[Program]-[CuteChat]-[CuteChat Configuration] to help you create a new sample application too.

Hope this helps.

•  07-28-2004, 10:48 AM 1344 in reply to 1342

Re: Database Error : System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: SQL Server does not exist or access denied

Thanks alot CuteChat. Yup, I made a mistake on the providertype and gave the wrong name of the server, it should have been (local).

By the way, why can't I type any thing in the editor after I logged in? I tried on both your Source Projects Demo and my new installation. The page loaded perfect, but when I type something into the editor box and click send, there isn't any response. Same case when I click on the "Bold", "Smiley", etc buttons. In fact, those are not buttons on the page.

Appreciate your advices anyway. Pretty neat and cool app.

Rgain
  •  07-28-2004, 11:07 AM 1346 in reply to 1344

Rgain:

Glad that I could help :-)

Do you see these words on the screen ?

Please wait, connecting to server... ... ...

Connected!

'MyName' joined the room.

And see 'MyName' in the Online List panel ?

Regards , Lijian .
  •  07-28-2004, 11:53 AM 1347 in reply to 1346

Hi Lijian,

No, there isn't any thing like that. I can see the chatroom screen, but not "MyName" and "connecting to server". The page is simple static.

Rgain
  •  07-28-2004, 12:17 PM 1349 in reply to 1347

Rgain,

Do you have the same problem in the chat room of this forums?

asp.net Chat http://cutesoft.net/ASP.NET+Chat/default.aspx
    Web Messenger: http://cutesoft.net/Web-Messenger/default.aspx
    asp.net wysiwyg editor: http://cutesoft.net/ASP.NET+WYSIWYG+Editor/default.aspx
    asp wysiwyg html editor: http://cutesoft.net/ASP
    asp.net Image Gallery: http://cutesoft.net/ASP.NET+Image+Gallery/default.aspx
    Live Support: http://cutesoft.net/live-support/default.aspx

•  07-28-2004, 12:18 PM 1350 in reply to 1347

Rgain:

Do you see any scripting error on the screen , or on the statusbar ?

Could you make a screen shot ?

Regards , Lijian .
  •  07-28-2004, 12:41 PM 1352 in reply to 1350

Adam & Lijian,

Here are the screenshots :

my new installation

CuteSoft Demo on ASP.Net Forum 2

No script error.

regards,
    Rgain
  •  07-28-2004, 12:46 PM 1353 in reply to 1350

By the way, if I get a proper installation of the CuteChat, is there any changes I'm supposed to see under IIS WebServiceExtensions, like there will be an cutechat.dll and cutechatsample.dll displayed?

Rgain
  •  07-28-2004, 1:32 PM 1356 in reply to 1353

Rgain:

Maybe , the 'Norton AntiVirus' block the script ?
    Could you test the chat room in another pc that the AntiVirus softwares are not installed ?

If you depoy the CuteChat using the 'CuteChat Configuration' program , after all step runs , these things would be done:

1.the DataBase would be setuped.
    2.the web.config would be merge to target application.
    3.the CuteChat/*.* would be copied to target application
    4.the CuteChat.dll,CuteChat....dll would be copied to target\bin

Regards , Lijian .
  •  07-29-2004, 8:14 AM 1371 in reply to 1356

Hi Adam & Lijian,

Thank you so much for the point out. It was the Norton AV script block that caused the problem. I tested on three computers and the results are follow:
    1. Norton AV installed, script block on = can't work
    2. Norton AV installed, script block off = can't work
    3. Norton AV not installed = works normally. However, sometime the chat windows will hang if three connecting retries were attempted

I just installed the ASP.Net Forum v.2 and worked properly. Then I tried to use the CuteChat config wizard to integrate it with the ASPNF2. It all worked fine until I click "Next" on the "Setup the web.config" page. The errors as follow:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
    just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
    System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at CuteChatConfig.Pages.CtrlWebConfig.DoNext()
       at CuteChatConfig.PagesContext.DoNext()
       at CuteChatConfig.SetupForm.btnNext_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
    mscorlib
        Assembly Version: 1.0.5000.0
        Win32 Version: 1.1.4322.573
        CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/microsoft.net/framework/v1.1.4322/mscorlib.dll
    ----------------------------------------
    CuteChatConfig
        Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
        Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/CuteSoft/CuteChat/CuteChatConfig.exe
    System.Windows.Forms
        CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.windows.forms/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.windows.forms.dll
    System
        CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.dll
    System.Drawing
        CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.drawing/1.0.5000.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/system.drawing.dll
    System.Data
        CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.data/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.data.dll
    System.Xml
        CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.xml/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.xml.dll
    System.EnterpriseServices
        CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.enterpriseservices/1.0.5000.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/system.enterpriseservices.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
    To enable just in time (JIT) debugging, the config file for this
    application or machine (machine.config) must have the
    jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
    The application must also be compiled with debugging
    enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
        <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
    </configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
    will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the machine
    rather than being handled by this dialog.

I couldn't proceed from here onwards. So I skipped the Web.Config setup and proceed on.
    The next thing I did was to open the "web.config" file in the ASPNF2 root directory and changed the following in red:

1. Configuration\CuteChat\Providers@defaultProvider="AspNetForums"
    2. Configuration\CuteChat\Providers\Provider : name="AspNetForums" sqlDataProviderType="CuteChat.AspNetForums2Lib.AspNetForumsSqlDataProvider,CuteChat.AspNetForums2Lib" userIdentityAdapterType="CuteChat.AspNetForums2Lib.SqlServerUserIdentityAdapter,CuteChat.AspNetForums2Lib"

At first it displayed just like the one in your demo. but ever since I clicked the CHAT button on the forum, it becomes like:

Server Error in '/Forums' Application.

Compilation Error

Description: An error occurred during the compilation of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific error details and modify your source code appropriately.

Compiler Error Message: CS0006: Metadata file 'c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v1.1.4322\temporary asp.net files\forums\d15f8608\8cfd220d\assembly\dl2\27af836e\00b450cd_6872c401\cutechat.dll' could not be found

Source Error:

[No relevant source lines]

Source File:    Line: 0

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.573; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.573

Now that everytime I access the forum page, it goes straight to this error. Can you advise me on this one?

Thank you in advance. Wish to hear from you soon.

Best regards,

Rgain

•  07-29-2004, 10:24 AM 1372 in reply to 1356

Hi again,

The problem's found:

In the decompressed package of the CuteChat, there's a folder (C:\Program Files\CuteSoft\CuteChat\Toolkit\bin\Debug) which contains another CuteChat.dll and CuteChat.pdb which seem different from the ones in the (C:\Program Files\CuteSoft\CuteChat\CuteChatSample\bin). The wizard copys the CuteChatSample version into the ASPNF2 instead of the ones from Toolkit.

Now the app works fine.
    Thank you anyway.

Best regards,

Rgain
  •  07-29-2004, 10:40 AM 1373 in reply to 1371

Rgain :

Thanks for verifying the antivirus problem . We would mention developers that issue.

You get the known problem , which is resolved , but not be published .

The reason is that the 'Culture' has not been binded anything. 

It's wired , you could wait for the next release in few days, or try this :

When get in the setup of DataBase configuration , choose 'Skip DataBase Configuration' , and click 'Next'

and then , the 'Culture' would fill with 'en-us' and more .

and then you could fill the ConnectionString manually , and continue

---------------

The 'Metadata file' not found bug is known bug in Asp.Net 1.0/1.1
    To resolve this problem , the ASP.NET must re-copy the 'shadow assemblies' , there are some ways :

A. iisreset
    B. re-copy the dll into the bin
    C. create a new file in the bin folder , and modify it and save it .

Regards , Lijian .

•  07-29-2004, 10:41 AM 1374 in reply to 1372

Glad that you have resolved it !

Regards , Lijian .
  •  07-30-2004, 10:39 AM 1382 in reply to 1374

I haven't resolved all the problem, coz I still can't open the chatroom with the ASPDNF2 integration.
    Anyway, Thanks alot, Lijian. I will wait for the next release of the CuteChat.

I really appreciate your quick response on product support. I'm looking forward to purchase a copy of CuteChat once I get a successful installation soon. By the way, after I purchased a license, do I have to change anything on the installed trial copy?

Best regards,

Rgain

Keep up the good work.
  •  07-30-2004, 10:44 AM 1383 in reply to 1382

Rgain,

All you need to do is overwrite the trial license file with the license file we send to you.

asp.net Chat http://cutesoft.net/ASP.NET+Chat/default.aspx
    Web Messenger: http://cutesoft.net/Web-Messenger/default.aspx
    asp.net wysiwyg editor: http://cutesoft.net/ASP.NET+WYSIWYG+Editor/default.aspx
    asp wysiwyg html editor: http://cutesoft.net/ASP
    asp.net Image Gallery: http://cutesoft.net/ASP.NET+Image+Gallery/default.aspx
    Live Support: http://cutesoft.net/live-support/default.aspx

•  07-31-2004, 10:55 AM 1401 in reply to 1383

Thank you, Adam. That's simple. This chat app is really amazing. Great job.

Rgain
View as RSS news feed in XML