Anonymous web user needs write permissions?

Last post 12-16-2006, 7:23 PM by BurnSoft. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  12-16-2006, 7:22 AM 25170

Anonymous web user needs write permissions?

just to make sure I'm doing this correctly... (pardon the ASP.NET ignorance here...)

But I'm testing out the control on a shared hosting account (my ISP is HostWay.com).  I'm receiving the following error:

Access to the path "D:\WWWRoot\[MyDomainName]\www\test\samplefolder\gallery.xml" is denied.

I'm using WS_FTP to place my files on the server, and the folder 'test' has 777.  But apparently this is good enough.  I see in the help file that:

At run-time, when the first hit comes to the page, DotNetGallery control will check for the needed files, images, and as it won't be there, it will create the folder and extract files from assembly.
    Finally, it is important to note that in order to save files on the server; the current user must have disk write permissions on the destination folder.
    After you extract all the files from the assembly, you don't need to assign ASPNET account write permissions to your production server.

Does this mean that I need to contact my ISP and ask for additional permissions on the folder?

Any help would be appreciated.
    Anon
  •  12-16-2006, 7:14 PM 25172 in reply to 25170

Re: Anonymous web user needs write permissions?

make sure you have the DotNetGallery_Files in your root directory, and you might need to ASPNET account and or the Network Account full rights to the folder(s where your gallery pictures are going to reside.
  •  12-16-2006, 7:23 PM 25173 in reply to 25170

Re: Anonymous web user needs write permissions?

This is also listed in the DotNetGalleryUsersGuide.pdf file in the Documentation folder:

ASP.NET is not authorized to access the requested resource. Consider granting access rights to the resource to the ASP.NET

request identity. ASP.NET has a base process identity (typically {MACHINE}\ASPNET on IIS 5 or Network Service on IIS 6) that is

used if the application is not impersonating. If the application is impersonating via <identity impersonate="true"/>, the identity will be

the anonymous user (typically IUSR_MACHINENAME) or the authenticated request user.

To grant ASP.NET write access to a file, right-click the file in Explorer, choose "Properties" and select the Security tab. Click "Add" to

add the appropriate user or group. Highlight the ASP.NET account, and check the boxes for the desired access.

At run-time, when the first hit comes to the page, DotNetGallery control will check for the needed files, images, and as it won't

be there, it will create the folder and extract files from assembly.

Finally, it is important to note that in order to save files on the server; the current user must have disk write permissions on the

destination folder.

After you extract all the files from the assembly, you don't need to assign ASPNET account write permissions to your

production server.

View as RSS news feed in XML